Passionate Product Owner
Using Product Design and Agile Thinking to Create Great Products
Passionate Product Ownership is a Certified Scrum Product Ownership course that blends solid product management, user experience design, and design thinking into a collaborative team-based approach to Scrum product ownership.
That’s a mouthful of jargon, but what’s important to know is that this isn’t just a course about filling the product ownership role in Scrum. It’s a course that teaches the practices you and your team need to create successful products.
Jeff Patton’s Approach to Successful Product Ownership
Product ownership is one of the most critical and most difficult roles in an agile process. Too often organizations adopting agile approaches and Scrum are lead to believe a single person in a product owner role is responsible for making all the decisions about the product- down to the last detail. The result is stressed, overworked product owner that’s become a bottleneck for everyone else in the organization. Others with critical input and valuable skills are often shut out of the process. In the end the product being built gets worse, and people in the company are less happy than ever before. But that’s not the way agile development is supposed to work. This class is about an approach to agile product ownership that does.
In this course, Jeff teaches a team-based approach to product ownership where a product owner leads a small discovery team that includes the roles and skills necessary to create a great product.
What You Get:
- Training from Jeff Patton, a recognized industry expert
- Recognition by the Scrum Alliance as a Certified Scrum Product Owner®
- A light breakfast, a full lunch, morning and afternoon snacks, and continuously replenished drinks
- Electronic access to training materials and pages of supporting handouts giving full description and advanced discussion on concepts and practices taught
- Quick reference guides that distill practices to a single 2-sided page of simple instruction
- A copy of Jeff’s book, User Story Mapping
- Printed and bound workshop handout – over 100 pages
- A two-year membership in the Scrum Alliance, a $100 value
- This course earns you 16 SEUs (Category B) within the Scrum Alliance. This course also earns you 15 PDUs within the PMI. SEUs and PDUs can be used toward CSP, PMP, PMI-ACP and other certifications.
Who Should Attend?
- Product managers, business stakeholders, and product marketing professionals: to understand the practices that lead to valuable products
- User experience practitioners, and business analysts: to understand the practices that lead to usable and desirable products
- Senior engineers: to understand the practices that lead to feasible products
- Project managers, Scrum Masters, and agile coaches: to understand how to guide successful product discovery and delivery
What Will You Learn?
The simple Scrum Framework is an effective product delivery approach, but the hardest part of software development is figuring out exactly what to deliver.
In this course you’ll learn:
- The goals and activities of product discovery.
- To use a dual-track approach to development where a discovery track is used to guide rapid learning, and a delivery track is used to guide rapid delivery of validated product solutions.
- How to use effective product design concepts and practices to engage in effective collaborative product discovery work.
- Practices that blend the best of agile, lean, and user experience thinking. These practices allow small teams to engage in faster, more collaborative product design and validation.
- Lean Startup and Validated Learning
- Design Thinking
- Workshop facilitation and card modeling
- Lightweight persona sketching
- User story mapping
- Collaborative design sketching
- Paper prototyping and testing
- Techniques for finding a minimal viable product
- MVP in a large product release
Expect to get your hands dirty. You won’t spend time dozing to PowerPoint slides. You’ll be up and moving and getting hands-on experience working in a small collaborative group.
Course Objectives and Outline:
It’s our primary goal that you successfully apply collaborative techniques to make great products.
While this course covers the details you’ll need to fulfill or support the Scrum Product Owner role, we believe that understanding the role and its requirements isn’t enough to be successful. In this course you’ll engage in a process simulation that models a different way of working; a way that emphasizes working collaboratively with others using a user-centric product design approach. At the end of this course you’ll be able to:
- Envision and describe the day-to-day work practice of a Product Owner and a Product Discovery Team
- Draw from a variety of user-experience and lean product design principles and practices to support your product discovery and design work
- Implement effective collaborative practices that focus on shared understanding and shared ownership of your products
- Agile, Scrum, & Product Ownership
- Agile origins and values
- The essential Scrum Process Framework
- Product ownership practice that wraps the Scrum framework
- Dual track development
- Product discovery
- Collaboration, card modeling, and shared understanding
- Design thinking
- Lean start-up’s validated learning
- User stories and story mapping
- Story essentials
This course contains all the necessary instruction to qualify participants for Scrum Product Owner Certification. The certification is given and the status maintained by the Scrum Alliance. To receive the certification, the student need only attend the course.
Along the way you’ll learn:
- Effective approaches to small team collaborative work
- Workshop facilitation
- Techniques for working quickly using lightweight card modeling
- Take away material that helps you keep learning
Keep Learning with Our Take Away Material
In two days you’ll be exposed to a huge number of concepts and practices, but as you start to make use of them, you’ll need more. Printed articles, handouts, quick-reference guides and the best available book on product management help you continue learning long after the class.
Take-home material includes:
- Electronic access to slides and articles used in the training.
- 19 pages of supporting handouts giving full description and advanced discussion on concepts and practices taught.
- Quick reference guides that distill practices to a single 2-sided page of simple instruction.
Use discovery to answer big questions:
- Will they buy and/or adopt the product?
- Can they use it?
- Can we build it?
- How will we break up and schedule the work?
Use delivery to execute:
- Plan the details
- Design, develop, and test
- Measure development speed
- Evaluate progress
- Evaluate quality
Ready to Take a Class?
Product Ownership Workshop
Become a Passionate Product Owner
This two-day workshop is a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Product Owner class that blends solid product management, user experience design, and design thinking into a collaborative team-based approach to Scrum product ownership. LEARN MORE
Product Ownership Training and In-Context Coaching
This workshop begins with Jeff Patton's “Passionate Product Ownership” course and then adjusts content and topics to fit your learning objectives. This course is tailored to your organization's needs. LEARN MORE
Product Discovery Immersion
Using a challenging 1-week product discovery immersion, we’ll ask teams to bring in the work they have today, and teach them an effective and collaborative way to get it done. LEARN MORE